Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Am So Disgusted With Certain Family Members Right Now?

My mother has always been controlling and co-dependent on her children. Don't get me wrong, she was also very loving and nurturing but...controlling. She has always been both emotionally and financially co-dependent on her children, now aged 34 & 36. I finally had enough and moved out at the age of 29yrs and have lived independently since. My sibling lives with her but strongly desires to move out into his own place. He won't do this out of fear of what will happen to my mother. He refuses to admit this to her but has told me this is the reason he hesitates to leave. My mother has been on unemployment for maybe 1 1/2 - 2 yrs. She is trying to collect SSI and disability. As you probably know...this is a time consuming process but she wasn't exactly in a hurry. She now only has about 1.5 month left to collect unemployment. Recently, my sibling voiced his desire to have his own place. My mother agreed and when he asked what she planned to do....she told him she would move in with a complete stranger and rent a room. CRAZINESS! I told her I refuse to condone this and told her she will put her belongings in storage and move-in with me. I explained to her my brother MUST eventually move out into his own place and learn to live independently. She too will eventually move out into a one bedroom and learn to live independently. I have become extrememly angry over this issue. Not to mention, just yesterday I learned my brother may have an older child he never knew about until recently. Mind you....he collects social security and disability. Financially he cannot afford a child. He is in no position in life to father a child....period. I am angry because my mother is co-dependent on us. I am angry because her co-dependency as forced her children to sacrifice having their own lives to contribute to her life. I am angry because I have worked hard all of my adult life and worked hard through college not to rely on the system to support me. I understand everybody needs help from time-to-time but this is just ridiculous! Do I have a right to feel so angry and disgusted? I feel angry and guilty for being angry at the same time. Your opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment